This ’67 Mustang GT500 was originally a California Ford built Fastback which spent its entire life in California until it was purchased in 2005 and shipped to Long Island, New York. The previous owner drove it to H.R.E. Motorcars to inspect it and to transform it into an Eleanor clone. Prior to starting the build, the previous owner had a speed shop purchase and install a 2006 Mustang Cobra I.R.S. rear end suspension assembly with 373. Posi and coil overs. At this time H.R.E. Motorcars then flew to the authorized Eleanor facility to view and inspect some current and previous builds to see some of the pros and cons of other examples. It was a great learning curve.
Shortly after that, HRE Motorcars was contracted to start the build. First thing was to completely dismantle the entire vehicle. Literally everything was taken apart. Then the vehicle was put on a rotisserie, to be then sent off to media blasting. When that was completed, the metal components were epoxy primed as a rust prevention technique. At this time a motor was purchased from Ernie Elliott Inc. Ernie Elliott is among the most accomplished engine builders in NASCAR history! He is also the only one synonymous with north Georgia and the state’s most famous family of racers. The highly respected engine builder and crew chief Ernie Elliott received much recognition while working for Elliott Racing and Melling Racing three decades ago, including Engine Builder of the year in 1985, and Engine Builder of the Decade for the 1980’s. His father George Elliott owned a Ford dealership and speed shop and from that worked his way into racing. Ernie Elliott is the man behind the power and dominance of younger brother Bill on short tracks and supers peedways in NASCAR. Ernie and HRE Motorcars have been conducting business since the late 80’s with specifically, high-end performance engines in race cars, Cobras, GT40’s, as well as muscle and custom cars, and continue to do business still today.
The original owner spared no expensive building his dream car. We were fortunate to find him his next dream car so that we could acquire this 1967 Ford Mustang GT500 and offer to you this one of a kind Eleanor clone built by H.R.E. Motorcars.
Our 1967 Ford Mustang GT500 “Eleanor” Tribute is specified as follows:
- 351 Ford Windsor, built with the best of everything. Balance & dynoed. Makes 450 HP & 425 foot lbs torque. Build includes ext. oil pump; custom billet valve covers (EEI name on); detailed and ready for installation.
- Dual Disc Kevlar faced clutch with internal bearing; 5 speed Tremac trans with carbon rings & quick shifter short throw. Quick Time steel bellhousing & HD balanced drive shaft.
- Custom front end with adjustable coil overs and tubular control arms & electric power rack adjustable.
- 4-wheel Willwood disc brakes featuring 6 piston front with electric power brakes.
- Custom alloy radiator & twin fans control by thermostat and override toggle switch.
- Interior is custom finished in leather with signature Shelby seats. The interior features classic Shelby gauges & dash tilt steering column. It has a wood wheel and custom horn button, custom center console, with (for display only) nitrous goodies as per the Hollywood movie “Gone In 60 Secs.” A Custom stereo & fiberglass head liner was installed, along with seat belts, stainless steel sill plates and custom roll bar.
- The wheels are custom made alloy with knock-offs & H.P. BFG tires.
- Stainless steel custom exhaust with side outlets.
- Upholstered trunk with battery & NOS bottle (for display only).
- Body: All steel body including fender flares and valances with side exhaust outlets and taillight panel. Original 1967 Ford GT500 Shelby trunk deck with ¼ extensions & all side scoops. Hood is Mustangs to fear along with front grilles & light pods. Custom body work done to remove seams. Paint is base coat with high solids clear Glasruit. Wet sanded & polished. Engine bay has been re-skinned to bring to a higher level of finish.
- Custom grey smoked glass to match with paint color.
- Custom gas tank powder coated